Sunday, January 16, 2011

How to make: A Felted Wool Hamster


These felted hamsters evolved when my students wanted to create an item to sell at a school wide craft sale to raise money for victims of the earthquake in Haiti. We created over 200 "Hamsters for Haiti" and sold out in minutes. It begins by repeatedly washing and drying (on HIGH heat) 100% wool sweaters, if you haven't trashed one of your own sweaters in this way purchase one from  a thrift store. The washings shrink the wool and magically turns it into felt which can be cut into shapes without fraying.
Turn the sweater inside out and trace the top, bottom and ear pattern and cut out the shapes. Fold the ears in half and stitch in place. Fold the top, the piece with slits, in half, insert the ear on the "good" side and stitch. Add buttons for nose and eyes and attach the top to the bottom with a blanket stitch. Stuff with cotton, batting or scraps of wool.

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, I want one. Are you selling them to those of us who are craft-challenged and out-of-state?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will make you one, but if I can get my act together, I am going to add a pdf of the pattern to my posting and I am SURE you can make one too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very cute. I will have to show this to my mom and I bet she and Abby will make them. I am not so crafty or patient right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to make hamsters!!!! I'll bet that these will make good pets and keep SENIOR hands busy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete