Monday, January 31, 2011

Your Bird Buddies are Hungry


Don't throw out that old dried out bagel....

With peanut butter and  twine you can save that bagel from heading down the disposal or to the landfill and attract some wildlife to your yard.


The Red Pepper? It's optional, birds do not have taste buds, but squirrels do!
So if you want to repel squirrels and attract birds, sprinkle the peanut butter with Red Pepper flakes or some Cayenne Pepper. String up the bagel with twine and hang it about five feet above the ground.


Anniethedog clearing the yard of squirrels.





...And look! A Hairy Woodpecker!!
Okay, he is on the suet feeder, next to the bagel, but I was too cold and impatient to get a picture of him eating the bagel.  (However, I believe, he is LOOKING at, and seriously considering  the bagel).











2 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to take out a home equity loan just to feed my birdy friends. But I really like your idea with the bagels. I'll try that next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez, I know the cost of bird seed can add up, but I think watching the birds on my feeders lowers my blood pressure, so think of the money we're saving on medication!

    ReplyDelete