Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Comfort Food: Baked Potato Soup

Baked Potato soup is great way to use leftover baked potatoes, or if you're like me and need some comfort food in a hurry, just stick a couple of potatoes in the microwave and "bake" them in a matter of minutes. 


Ingredients
  1. 3 bacon strips, diced
  2. 1 small onion, chopped
  3. 1 clove garlic, minced
  4. 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  5. 1 teaspoon salt
  6. 1 teaspoon dried basil
  7. 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  8. 3 cups chicken broth
  9. 2 large baked potatoes, peeled and cubed
  10. 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
  11. 1/2 cup milk
  12. 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
  13. Shredded Cheddar cheese
Directions
  1. In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Saute onion and garlic in the drippings until tender. Stir in flour, salt, basil and pepper; mix well. Gradually add broth. Bring to boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add the potatoes, cream and hot pepper sauce; heat through but do not boil. Garnish cheese. * For the vegetarian in my family, I use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth and skip the bacon. 

                                                                              

2 comments:

  1. Pete made this tonight for dinner tomorrow night. We like to make our soups a day in advance to allow the flavors to settle and come out more. I just had a taste. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I think just about everything tastes better the next day. With this weekends winter blast, some warm soup should hit the spot! I'd love to post some pics of your beautiful house, I am going to quickly run out of material to feed this blog monster I created.
    S

    ReplyDelete